Not to be overly dramatic but time is running out. We are not promised tomorrow so it’s imperative we live for today. Tell people you love you love them. Hug them. Be the best person you can be today. I learned how to change my attitude about life in general and my life changed from a ho-hum existence to one I would describe as magical. Here’s 5 ways to change your attitude.
(1) Today is today. Tomorrow is not certain: When I shifted my mind to understand that each day I’m allowed to take another breath is a gift I treated each day as a gift. A gift that I am thankful for. This realization actually changed the way I approached the day. I was happy, grateful to be able to be here, which made me be present in the moments of the day. Not only was my mood better, I felt happier and the people that I engaged with felt special. How great is it to leave an positive indelible mark on each person you meet? Think about it you could change someone’s day.
(2) Do what you love: So many of us get caught up in chasing the check that we loose sight into what the purpose of life is in the first place. If we remember that tomorrow is never promised, why would you spend 8 hours of your day doing something you hate? Doing things that don’t inspire you? I’ve not saying quit your job. But what about putting a plan in place to do more things that you love to do and inspire you?
(3) A gratitude attitude: Watching the news is depressing. I have a friend that works for one of the major broadcast channels here in NYC and she says “if it bleeds it leads.” Coupled with reality shows that depict wealthy lifestyles and deplorable behavior it all very depressing – to me. But what snaps me out of it is my gratitude list. I start to rattle off all of the things that I am grateful for in my life. Being able to fall back on gratitude is the foundation of a healthy life because it focuses you on what you have not on what you don’t have. Think about it, what about the people that have less (and some have considerably less) than you but still are grateful and happy? So, focus on what you have.
(4) Positive thinking: Nothing good comes from a mind that thinks negatively. It’s just not possible. Having a positive mindset and way of thinking is key. Now, I am not talking about running around blindly hugging people and skipping down the street. What I mean is to change the radio station of thoughts running through your mind. Think positive. Speak positive. If your mind is telling you that you are fat, ugly and won’t amount to anything that’s not the best way to motivate you to loose weight, accentuate your positives and do things you love.
(5) Be your own best friend: This is important. Love yourself so much that you only want the best for yourself. Be your own cheerleader, be your own best friend. So many of us walk around being our own worst enemy. When you look in the mirror affirm your positives. Affirm your goodness. You are the best friend you will ever have so start treating yourself that way. Look inward and dig deep to be the best friend to the little girl (or boy) that’s on the inside. Ask yourself what you need and give it to yourself. Don’t look on the outside for it.